Notes from Brad Frost's Talk at Web Visions 2012
- Create relevant, purposeful content.
- Content like water - We need content to have the ability to move and conform to different containers. It should be entirely device agnostic.
- The most valued products will be designed to live beyond the device and platforms they were intended to be for.
- "We need to make smarter content, not smarter containers." - Stephanie Rieger
- Create API's, Not War
- NPR created COPE - Create once, publish everywhere.
- With responsive design on the web, we can fundamentally change what it can, do who it can reach, and where it can go. It should be more than just a stylesheet for mobile.
- Principles of Adaptive Design:
- Future Friendly
- "Diversity is not a bug, its an opportunity" - Stephanie Rieger
- This Is Responsive - Patterns for responsive layouts, navigations and carousels. Go there. Seriously. Go.
- R/GA's responsive blog, which is cuated by Brad Frost and Pon Kattera
- Embrace the Squishiness™
- The Growing Epidemic of Page Bloat on GigaOm
- Mobile Testing from Akamai, along with their blog post describing it.
- Responsive Design != One Size Fits All
- Acknowledge and embrace unpredictability
- Users don't give a shit if your site is responsive. They do give a shit when they can't do what they need to on your site.
- WTF Mobile Web - Real world examples of mobile web done wrong
- Mobile Web Best Practices helps people learn about and get things done with the mobile web
- "When you're finished changing, you're finished" - Ben Franklin
- Content Everywhere - Sara Wachter-Boettcher
- Content Strategy For The Web - Kristina Halvorson & Melissa Rach
- Content Strategy For Mobile by Karen McGrane on A Book Apart (Not yet released)
- Adaptive Web Design - Aaron Gustafson
- Designing With Progressive Enhancement - Todd Parker, Scott Jehl, Maggie Costello Wachs, Patty Toland
The above slide photos are on flickr here.